Wednesday, December 19, 2007

UnChristian


Have you ever read a book that really challenges you...I mean one that shakes you up and causes the beginning of a paradigm shift in your life?? I've finally finished reading UnChristian by David Kinnaman and Gabe Lyons. I'm not a real fast reader like my wife Holly...it may take me months to get through a book (like this one!). But for some reason while reading this book I found myself doing a lot of cross referencing of scripture passages and reading other articles about certain chapters. I've found myself engaging in conversations with others about the main crux of this book...What a new generation thinks about Christianity.

The next couple of blogs, I'm going to jot down some quotes that really struck me upside my head:

-One obvious reason why Christians acquire a hypocritical image in America...our lives don't match our beliefs. Our lifestyles and perspectives are no different from those of anyone around us.

-Among outsiders (those looking at Christianity from the outside in), 84% say they personally know at least one committed Christian. Yet 15% thought the lifestyles of those Christ followers were significantly different from the norm. This gap speaks volumes.

-Living with integrity starts with being transparent.

-The perception of hypocrisy also emerges when we start fighting the "culture war" - meaning we attack people's behavioral patterns rather than love them as people.

-Young people are also more likely to believe one can live a meaningful life without accepting Jesus Christ.

-We often seem like spiritual headhunters!


Any thoughts?? Anyone else read this book??

No comments: