Thursday, March 04, 2010

Constructive Criticism and American Idol


I like to think I'm a fan of Constructive Criticism. I try to welcome this and again I think most folks would SAY they want that, but do we really?

First off CC is simply to critique an individual so they will benefit or improve. Sounds simple and nice, but not all people are receptive to it.

I like and really try to welcome CC...my biggest fan that I look to for this is my wife Holly, because she is honest and straightforward, yet gentle. Typically after I may preach or teach I'll ask her, "okay give me some constructive criticism..." For me...that's how I grow and learn. If someone just continues to "tickle" my ears I'll never benefit or improve.

Again, there are certain people who give me this and I hold on to their comments and allow them to help me improve. Notice I said certain people! Some of you who read this blog are some of those certain people.

The other night I was watching American Idol. One of the guys did his thing and waited to hear from the panel. The first three judges did not care for his performance, thought he missed it, didn't deliver...BUT when it was Simon's turn, he said, "I disagree with the others and think you hit a home run." You could see this guys face, demeanor, energy...every thing changed about him at that moment of one man's comment. It was like the other comments that were made...didn't matter! Oohh...that's powerful and I think there's a lesson in that.

Now I'm not advocating that we act and brutally criticize like a Simon...but I bet if you ask all the contestants of all the seasons of American Idol which judge's comments do you respect the most...I bet 95% would say Simon's.

There's a lesson there...stew on that a bit...let me know what you think...

1 comment:

Jen and Joe said...

I agree with this completely. I work with troubled teen and I am what you call "the strictest staff", however, when the girls need advice when it really matters who do they come to? ME, yep.. not to toot my own horn, but, I believe in being honest and being the best I can at following the program rules so I can help the girls the most. After I tell them what I think, they say, "thanks Jen that means a lot coming from you". Tried and true right there.