Saturday, May 03, 2008

Sparks the Cat


Sad day today...our cat Sparks died. This was the first "real" family pet that we've had. Bryan had a hamster once, even a fish a time or two. But this cat was part of our family for almost 7 years.

It was pretty unexpected...Bryan was home with her this morning, Holly was headed to the grocery and I was coming back from a deacon's retreat. Apparently Sparks had coughed a little while, kinda like all cats do when they get a hair ball...but then Bryan said she just fell over and died. Pretty traumatic stuff for Bryan being here by himself. He called Holly and she came home immediately. They called me as we were already headed home from the retreat.

I got home...we all shed some tears...we then took Sparks and buried her in the back yard.

I know some may read this and think, "oh it was just a cat!" But you would then be wrong...because she was part of our family. There's something very therapeutic about pets...Sparks was able to make us smile and laugh...then there were those times when she would just curl up to you and sleep.

Dang I'm going to miss that cat. Please pray for Bryan...pretty tough stuff for our little guy...for that matter pray for all of us, it's been a tough day.

2 comments:

Robo said...

Sorry 'bout the cat dude.
I had both cats and dogs growing up, so I know what you mean by family. They can be special parts of the family

Lydia said...

I'm sorry about Sparks. I think my favorite memory of her will always be when you and Geron wrapped her up as a Christmas present-prank for Bryan. She was a very good-tempered cat---and that's saying a lot because I don't even like cats. She was special, though, and I know you guys will miss her a lot.