Friday, March 03, 2006

Going under the knife!


I've been dreading this...it's been on the calendar for awhile. Last August while I was in Mexico on a mission trip with my high school students, I hurt my knee. Chris Barrow and I were doing some serious roofing and spent all day squatting on our knees. That's where it all started.

When we got back home in Kentucky my knee was sore as a dog…it was all swollen and stuff. I hadn’t been able to go to the “Y” and do the workout thing or for that matter anything relating to physical exertion. So finally the day has come to get the knee working properly…Monday, March 6th at 8:30am I’ll be, for the first time in my life, having surgery.

Am I scared? Sorta…being that I’ve never had this done before has been freaking me out a bit. I’ve had some strange dreams about the surgery…very vivid, wake you up in the middle of the night kind. One dream in particular stands out. Before the surgery begins I’m in the operating room waiting…all those involved are standing in a circle discussing what to do. Two guys are off to the right of me sharpening scalpels like they're getting ready to carve a Thanksgiving turkey. I wake up from the surgery and both of my legs are gone! Well I made the mistake of telling some of my youth about the dream…they now call me…Lieutenant Dan.

So come Monday morning I would covet your prayers…I’ll probably be a big chicken and will freak myself out. I’ve asked Holly all sorts of questions like, “What if I wake up during the surgery?” “Will I feel anything?” “Will I remember anything?” I really freaked out when my brother-in-law, Jim asked me if they were going to put in a catheter! A WHAT!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

JEFF: NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. YOU'LL GET TO WEAR ONE OF THOSE LITTLE GOWNS (AND THAT'S ALL)OPEN DOWN THE BACK, AND REMEMBER NOT TO SAY ANYTHING WHILE UNDER THE INFLUENCE (MOST PEOPLE DO)THAT YOU WANT TO KEEP A SECRET. YOU WON'T FEEL ANY PAIN UNTIL YOU WAKE UP AND THEREAFTER!!!! AND, BY THE WAY, YOU WON'T EVEN REMEMBER WHEN THE CATHEDER GOES IN BECAUSE YOU'LL BE ASLEEP; BUT GET READY FOR THEM TO TAKE IT OUT!!!!YOU WILL REMEMBER THAT! I'LL BE PRAYING FOR YOU BUDDY!!! NO JOKE - THERE IS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. YOUR FAVORITE FATHER-IN-LAW, LLOYD
P.S. YOU'LL BE GOOD AS NEW BY DEER SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lydia said...

HILARIOUS!!!

Geron was a "supreme court justice" when he woke up from surgery and he told us all kinds of interesting things--none of which were true. He also made jokes VERY FREELY with the nurses about the catheter.

Seriously though, I'm going to pray one of my favorite verses for you--Philippians 4:6-7

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God that transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

This has lead me through many anxious times, giving me peace and calm that only God can give. Hold on to that, Jeff...or Lieutenant Dan.