Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Read any good books lately?

I've been a reading fool these past few months...I am determined to be a better "book reader"...an old phrase that a friend once told me (I think there's some truth to it), "if you're going to lead, you gotta read!"

Here's a couple of books that have charged me...

1. "Who Stole My Church?" by Gordon MacDonald
This book reads as a novel about a church in the New England states and their attempt to take their church into the 21st century. A GREAT read...made me think about FBC Richmond more than once. For those who have ever said, "This is my church!"...one, it's not your church to begin with...two, check out this book, I think it would really challenge you.





2. "Leading from the Second Chair" by Mike Bonem & Roger Patterson
An excellent book for those who lead from the second chair...associate pastors, executive pastors, etc. I gleaned much wisdom from this one...a good friend gave me the book as I began my new role as associate pastor here at FBC. Leading from the second chair doesn't mean that you become a "mini me" form of your pastor...but it has everything to do with being submissive and having a servants heart.





3. "Confessions of a Pastor" by Craig Groeschel
It's good to know that pastors are real human beings. Craig "confesses" of things in his life that he has and continues to deal with. Pastors are real people, and struggle with real life issues.

1 comment:

Bird's Words said...

It's very attractive to hear you talk of books, Jeff!