Thursday, February 18, 2010

You blew it...you're done!


I've really enjoyed watching the Olympics the past couple of days...there's something exciting when you hear that bass thumping Olympic theme, know what I'm talking about? Bom, Bom, Bom, Bom...da, da, dadadadum...

I'm a fan of the short track, skiing and snowboarding...maybe even a little curling! I enjoy some more than others! But Jeff what about ice skating? hmmmmm...I enjoyed watching the whole Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan fiasco! Does that count?

I did notice something the other night when Holly and I were watching the men's ice skating...notice I was watching with my wife. One of the skaters was in the middle of their routine and took a spill. Immediately commentators started with "Well, he's finished!" "His dreams have come to an end!" "It will be four more years of waiting!" Dang, thanks for the encouragement!

It struck me though...when skaters make one mistake, knowing that the mistake probably cost them a medal...how do they go on? It looks like most of them just suck it up and move on, as if nothing happened. But I'm sure that has to be lingering in their mind, "All that practice and I fell...what if I fall again." I think that takes a great deal of courage to continue even after one mistake...to complete the routine with integrity.

*I love what 1 John 1:9 says...
*I'm glad when we make a mistakes that God doesn't say "You blew it...you're done!"
*And even when we do blow it...God gives us great courage and strength to continue on...but we have to receive that forgiveness and not waller in the mud.
*Enjoy the rest the Olympics!

1 comment:

Lydia said...

oooooh, good point, jeff! Thanks for sharing. I really needed that last bit. (you know my ice skating record! HA!) Seriously, thanks