Sunday, March 16, 2008

Good to be home!

I always find it so difficult to sum up a week long mission journey in one or two sentences. I think it's impossible to do...

Last Friday when our plane landed in Cincinnati I was so excited to see Holly and Bryan...I had royally missed them (and even that is an understatement!) Holly described the homecoming very well in her blog here. It was good to be home!

But how I miss those at the Prince of Peace girls home in Guatemala. Last week was just incredible to pour your life into someone else's thinking you are impacting them, when in turn it is you who is being poured into. You are the one who is being changed...and it's almost like culture shock coming home. I've always made remarks about the fact that we are so blessed here in America compared to others in a third world country. But you know, I'm not convinced whose blessed more...the one living without much or the one who has much.

Last week was unbelievable...Guatemala is such a beautiful country and dang if the weather is not near perfect in my book (80-85 degrees with the bluest skies I'd ever seen!) A few highlights and sights...

-I walked up to the base of a live volcano (Mt. Pakaya) and stood in front of a lava flow.
-Witnessed Semana Santa in Antigua...their version of Holy Week
-Went to a Spanish speaking church (duh, it was Guatemala!) Very cool how God transcends a language barrier.
-Was able to show the love of Jesus to 45 beautiful girls who all have stories from abandonment, physical and sexual abuse to neglect.

To sum it all up...I don't want to be the same or come back doing the same things in life that don't matter. I long for change in my church...I long for change in my life, even if that means I'm uncomfortable.

By the way...I have the most amazing wife in the world who although went through a week of pneumonia while I was gone (and still struggling with it!) and yet was my prayer warrior extraordinare...I stinking love you to death!!

2 comments:

Bird's Words said...

I stinkin' love you too :)

Robo said...

I absolutely love the picture of the "parade".
Now imagine that on streets of gold with Jesus as the
Grand Marshal(sp?).

Great to have you back dude.

Believe it or not
I stinkin' love you both too.

I pray for Holly's health