Wednesday, October 01, 2008

My pastor is leaving...


On a much needed, well deserved sabbatical. His last Sunday preaching will be this coming Sunday (Oct. 5th)...his first Sunday back will be November 30th. I haven't blogged a great deal about our church or about our staff...maybe that could be a week long blog series, "Meet the staff at FBC!"

I have worked under five pastors at four different churches over the course of my years in ministry...none of them hold a candle to Bill Fort. A few words to describe my pastor:
-A Godly man
-A family man
-Loves people!
-Has a gift (I would call it spiritual) to remember peoples names and countless statistics of just about any sporting team.
-A Patient man...you have to be when your wife is named "Patience"
-Is a true "Barnabas" in how he encourages people

Bill is not only my pastor, but he's my friend...and sometimes in the "church world" those two don't always go hand-in-hand.

While he is away I'll be assuming his role...I'll be preaching most of the morning services as well as some of his other pastoral duties. I'm looking forward to this season of ministry...people have been asking me if I'm ready? Ummmm...yes. BUT...I'll be the first to welcome him back! Of course I'll take full advantage of the senior pastor bathroom privileges!

Love ya Bill...I pray that this time of sabbatical will be a time of renewal, reflection, rest, dreaming, visiting, more rest, more renewal, making great memories with your family, did I mention to rest??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to serving alongside you these next 8 weeks in a slightly different role!! It will be "a ride" I'm sure!! You're READY...let's go!

M

Robo said...

I will be coming to hear you preach one Sunday Brother.

" Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. "

Hey, I've heard that before ;)

Lydia said...

Jeff, you hit the nail on the head in your description of Bill. Since we've been in Chattanooga, we've had 3 different pastors and they don't hold a candle to Bill, either. I certainly have loved all three, but haven't been able to consider them "MY Pastor". I remember the first time I met Bill at the BSU...I was going to be doing summer missions that coming summer. He walked up to me and said "Hey, Lydia, I just wanted to let you know I've been praying for you as you prepare to go to Arkansas." I had no idea who he was, so that certainly made an impact on me.

Anyway, I know you are going to do a great job in his stead. Sometimes I wonder why you and Holly aren't senior pastors in a church somewhere. Wish we could come up and hear you preach while you're filling in. Does First Baptist have a podcast?