Sunday, February 06, 2011

2123rd Homecoming


December 2009 the 2123rd National Guard Transportation Unit had a farewell ceremony at Madison Central High School in Richmond, KY. I remember sitting there watching these 150 men and women preparing to say good-bye to their loved ones as they traveled to Afghanistan for a year. I remember lots of tears being shed...numerous last hugs...and just a lot of sad faces.

I remember watching and listening to a soldier tell his little boy and girl, "Daddy loves you...I'll talk to you on the computer soon." After that I'm turning away because I'm in tears. Dang, I can't imagine what that is like...and I really don't wish to find out.

This past Friday was the homecoming...after being gone a year...after losing one of their fellow soldiers...after being under attack several times and wounded...family and friends lined up for a serious homecoming.

Our church had the privilege to host this homecoming...throughout the year when the 2123rd was away we had an ongoing relationship with their families who met at First Baptist each month for support.

Three huge buses pulled up...families had already started storming the bus that their loved one was on. And then it was nothing but hugs, tears (a different kind!), 'hooting and hollering', the beginning of a homecoming celebration.

I hope we will be able to continue this relationship with the 2123rd for future homecomings. It was a GREAT time...a very patriotic time...I was proud of these men and women...it was a good day.

1 comment:

Jo Ann said...

What a wonderful thing to do for our soldiers and their families. I remember another time many years ago when homecoming wasn't celebrated by hardly anyone except family and loved ones. Thank you,God, that it is different now and, thank you to those who make it different.