Tuesday, June 24, 2008

2 years ago


A little over two years ago we had something very tragic that happened at our high school camp in Blue Ridge, GA. One of the guys from my friends church nearly drowned in the lake.

I'll never, ever forget that day. Even blogging about it brings back the memories...even makes my stomach churn. The teen's name was Shane and he continues to be a walking miracle.

We had just got back from tubing down a river and I was in the cabin cleaning up for dinner and then worship. I was putting my shoes on and Chris Barger ran up and told me what happened...Shane and some of the other guys were swimming around when Shane went under and didn't come back up. Eventually one of our youth leaders and some of the guys formed a human chain and walked out to where Shane had last been seen. It didn't take long until George found him and drug him out and began CPR.

I ran down as fast as I could to the lake and began to help George with the CPR. We went back and forth what seemed like an hour...Finally the rescue squad arrived and took over from there. They found a slight pulse and rushed him to the local hospital and eventually to a hospital in Chattanooga. Shane spent a few weeks there and then stabilized to where he was able to come to Cardinal Hill in Lexington. A few weeks later he was home and continued to rehab.

Shane was able to go back to school, work, drive, etc. Again, he's a walking miracle...and to my knowledge, doesn't remember anything about that day. Good, I hope he never remembers that day! By the grace of God his life was spared!

But I remember it well...again, my stomach is churning, dang the memory is still fresh. I wish I could forget...I wish it never happened...it has affected my life and me as a minister. I felt and still feel responsible...our youth ministry has always been safety minded...I'm safety minded, maybe too safety minded at times. Maybe I need to talk with someone in dealing with these feelings, I don't know. I sometimes feel like I've let our youth ministry down because of these thoughts and feelings. I think I've changed since that day...and I don't really like it.

Ever have times like these?

6 comments:

Bird's Words said...

Things like that DO change you, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. Change can be great, as you know. It's just... different. You are not less of a minister or a worse one because of that day. I see it totally the opposite. I see you as more intentional about life, more intentional about relationships. When things like this come along, you realize what is important, and it isn't the trivial junk we seem to get bombarded with every day. It's friendships, love, family, our walk with God, telling others our God story...
If you have changed, it's for the better, Jeff. I see that in you since that day 2 years ago. And I love it. I love that you are taking a tragic accident (but thankfully, not a death because of yours and George's actions) and using it to be a better minister, a better man of God.
Memories can't hurt us; they only remind us of pain. And just because accidents happen, that doesn't mean that you are responsible. You did't have a negligence that led to this; it was an accident and nothing more. You can't blame yourself for that. Allow yourself to reflect and remember,and then get back to living because that is what you are called to do.

I love you...
Bird

Anonymous said...

Jeff,
As a school nurse, there have been moments in my work that have been life changing for me. I do understand your difficulty in dealing with the event that happened in Blue Ridge. Jesus died to set the captives free. He doesn't want these emotions to hold you back from His love and your servanthood to Him. Beth Moore calls that a "stronghold". You were an awesome youth pastor and what happened two years ago was out of your control. I try to remember that and give God the glory when I stuggle with situations that I have been involved with regarding young people and their safety and well being. I'll be praying for you.

Robo said...

Dude,
I remember you telling me about this and the thing that I remember the most is your passion for life.
As long as I have known you, you have always lived life and lived it to the fullest.
Jesus came so that we may have life and have it to the fullest.
Shane is going to have a full life because of you and your love for him.
I can't say that I know what you are going through, but I do know one thing. You love life , your family, your friends, and most importantly, Your God.
You are very special to everyone around you and everyone else is a better person because you took time from your life and became part of theirs

Lydia said...

Because I don't know what to say, but because I care, I ditto the three before me. You are like a big brother to me and I love you and thank you for investing yourself in my family's life as well. You definitely are an example of God's love to all you encounter. Don't let Satan rob you of your joy and your passion. You were an awesome youth minister, and because I know you and your family well, I'm sure you are awesome in your position now, as well. WE love you, Jeff. Thanks for being in the "Life saving" buisness.

Anonymous said...

JP,

I have to "echo" like Lydia. Holly said it wonderfully!! You have NEVER let anyone down in ministry at FBC! You know you are tops in my book...whether you are our youth minister or the "little guppie". Don't let Satan get that stronghold, as Ava said! Journey on in His Name!

MLE

Jo Ann said...

I remember the day well because Holly called me as soon as she heard and we began to pray as many others were; and God used you and George to begin Shane's healing. I don't believe that God causes bad things to happen but I know He works thru them to make lives better. He must really have a plan for Shane and we are seeing His plan for you unveil each day. As you watch Shane's life progress, remember that God allowed you to have a part in that. And, as you watch your blessings multiply, remember God wanted you to have those blessings. You are a wonderful man of God, a great husband and dad, and the best son-in-law in the world so don't ever doubt your purpose. Our family needs you and We love you....
JoAnn & Lloyd