Monday, June 23, 2008

The Owl


I'm giving the owl just one more chance.

I've given him several chances, but now it's down to one more try!

As long as we have lived in our new home (year and a half) the birds really love to try and make a nest up in my grill (and I mean that literally) and they enjoy pooping on the deck rails while they are waiting. I bet Holly and I have burned at least a hundred bird's nest (minus any birds or eggs, we're not evil). But the birds just don't get the picture.

So, last summer I bought this owl from Tractor Supply...he's supposed to scare the birds away...you are supposed to move the owl around to 'fool' the birds into thinking he's real. FAT CHANCE! Usually the birds are perched on top of the owl! They even poop on the owl and that's an insult.

So...one more try owl and then you are out. Anybody have any advice on how to keep birds off your deck while trying to be humane?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

JP,

We live on our deck in the summer too and I don't recall any problems w/ birds...oh, the occasional bird dropping but nothing major. A couple thoughts...we have a hummingbird feeder hanging from one side of the awning on the deck. Also, we have purple martin gourds in the yard (opposite side of house from deck). Don't know if either of those keep the majority of the birds away but maybe a possibility? BTW...LOVE the OWL!!!

MLE